Task 6

SONNET 132

Thine eyes I love, and they, as pitying me,Knowing thy heart torments me with disdain,
Have put on black and loving mourners be,
Looking with pretty ruth upon my pain.
And truly not the morning sun of heaven
Better becomes the grey cheeks of the east,
Nor that full star that ushers in the even,
Doth half that glory to the sober west,
As those two mourning eyes become thy face:
O! let it then as well beseem thy heart
To mourn for me since mourning doth thee grace,
And suit thy pity like in every part.
Then will I swear beauty herself is black,
And all they foul that thy complexion lack.

1. In what mood is this sonnet written? How do you know?

This sonnet is written with self despair, he is pitying himself. He has 'never ending' frustrations. It's kind of a sad and dark sonnet.

("Knowing thy heart torments me with disdain")
-> His heart tortures him, because his lover didn't love him back.
("And suit thy pity like in every part.")
-> Shakespeare thinks his lover should also pity him 'in every part'.
("Have put on black and loving mourners be")
-> 'Putting on black clothes' is symbolic for his suffering.


2. What is your personal opinion about your chosen sonnet? Explain in about 20 words.
I personally don't really like the dark and mourning tone of this sonnet. I instantly noticed the tone of this sonnet, even though I didn't understand every word of it.

SONNET 137

Thou blind fool, Love, what dost thou to mine eyes,
That they behold, and see not what they see?
They know what beauty is, see where it lies,
Yet what the best is take the worst to be.
If eyes, corrupt by over-partial looks, 
Be anchored in the bay where all men ride,
Why of eyes' falsehood hast thou forged hooks,
Whereto the judgment of my heart is tied?
Why should my heart think that a several plot,
Which my heart knows the wide world's common place?
Or mine eyes, seeing this, say this is not,
To put fair truth upon so foul a face?
In things right true my heart and eyes have erred,
And to this false plague are they now transferred.


1. In what mood is this sonnet written? How do you know?
You can find a lot of things about love in the poem.
(
Thou blind fool, Love, what dost thou to mine eyes)

This poem isn't really flattering the 'dark lady'. For instance, it intends that she is a prostitute;
(
Be anchored in the bay where all men ride)(Which my heart knows the wide world's common place?)
I find this poem really negative and maybe even hateful about this 'dark lady', because he calls her a prostitute, a 'common place' where all men have access. He also calls her a "false plague" and says that she has a "foul face".

2. What is your personal opinion about your chosen sonnet? Explain in about 20 words. 
I understood it a lot better than the first poem, but I don't get why he would say this kind of stuff about the 'dark lady'. I don't like the negative things that he says about this lady.

SONNET 139

O! call not me to justify the wrong
That thy unkindness lays upon my heart;
Wound me not with thine eye, but with thy tongue:
Use power with power, and slay me not by art,
Tell me thou lov'st elsewhere; but in my sight,
Dear heart, forbear to glance thine eye aside:
What need'st thou wound with cunning, when thy might
Is more than my o'erpressed defence can bide?
Let me excuse thee: ah! my love well knows
Her pretty looks have been mine enemies;
And therefore from my face she turns my foes,
That they elsewhere might dart their injuries:
Yet do not so; but since I am near slain, 
Kill me outright with looks, and rid my pain.

1. In what mood is this sonnet written? How do you know?
This poem is about justice;
(
O! call not me to justify the wrong)
At first, he says 'do not insist me to justify the wrong'. He does't excuse the cruelty of his beloved. Yet later in this poem, he justifies the actions of his lover.

Shakespeare is also hurt, because his lover has attention for other men;
(Tell me thou lov'st elsewhere; but in my sight,)
(Dear heart, forbear to glance thine eye aside)

2. What is your personal opinion about your chosen sonnet? Explain in about 20 words.
I had to look up some of the words to understand the meaning of this sonnet, for example cunning, foes and slain.

Would you say there's still hope for Shakespeare?
Yes, I think there is still hope for Shakespeare. He was infatuated with this woman, and cares a lot about her. They say that there's a thin line between love and hate, and he is so in love that he doesn't know what to do with himself.


Select one of the three sonnets and make an A4-size collage.

I chose sonnet 132.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Bvq5DOr6VjRmZPT2pVbG13MU5zN1lHZUhEeFkyelFFaW1v/view?usp=sharing

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Task 11

Task 13

Task 12